Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: 18fps or 24fps?

  1. #1
    Inactive Member corey13's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 11th, 2001
    Posts
    35
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I bought a Bell & Howell projector a few months ago and I was wondering what the speed was on it. It doesn't have a speed control. I'm assuming its 18fps but I'm not sure. If its 18fps what would happen if I play a 18fps film on it? Will it look normal? Will it be choppy? How about 24fps film?

    I would really appreaciate it if someone could help me on this.

    Thanks,
    Corey

  2. #2
    HB Forum Moderator Alex's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 29th, 2000
    Posts
    11,383
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post


    The film you project will either look speeded up...normal...or in slow motion.

    It won't harm the film...provided the projector is in good shape.

    I think most projectors came with multiple speed playback options....

    Perhaps yours doesn't, but definitely check out the manual and look for a small 18-24 slide switch somewhere on the unit.

    Alex

  3. #3
    Inactive Member Laurent Barbier's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 26th, 2000
    Posts
    5
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Alex,

    I bought a Bell & Howell projector a few months ago also - all my movies play in slow motion and there is no way to speed them up. Seems that you are having that same exact problem!!

    Last week I bought myself a better projector - one that has a set speed. The bell & Howell projectors are really poor quality. That's why there so many for sale on e-bay.

    Good luck! Laurentt

  4. #4
    Inactive Member corey13's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 11th, 2001
    Posts
    35
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Smile

    I think I'll just buy a new one. Thanks for the info.

    Corey

  5. #5
    Inactive Member pcg's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 28th, 2000
    Posts
    204
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Go with an Elmo or Eumig. Begin to look at the differences on eBay. Make sure you pick up one w/ sound... Also, the better Elmos & Eumigs allow you to play regular 8, double 8 & Super 8. A zoom lens option is also a plus...!

    /Pat

  6. #6
    Inactive Member #Pedro's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 12th, 2000
    Posts
    266
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Projectors with only one fixed speed run at 18 fps (low-end models). If you are going to buy a new one, make shure, that it has a 150 W bulb to provide a bright image. The Eumig are very steady machines, but they were only available with a 100 W light. If you shot your films with correct exposure or a slightly underexposed in order to become more sharp and with intensive colors, a 150 W bulb is very important. Look for Bauer studio class, Braun Visacustic 2000, Elmo, Beaulieu. Already better is a Xenon light.
    Pedro

  7. #7
    Inactive Member corey13's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 11th, 2001
    Posts
    35
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Smile

    Thanks everyone,
    I'll keep my eye out for those brands!
    I really appreciate it!

    Corey


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •